Sunday 3 March 2013

Bravo BYOB!

We are asked to reflect/remark upon a learning technology we found memorable. Although it is unlikely that, on my death bed, I will devote much thought to it, in recent times, I found creating a game using the BYOB (Build Your Own Blocks) computer code learning software quite fun, educational and ultimately satisfying (in that I got the results I wanted).

BYOB can be an entertaining way of graphically playing around with the structural concepts inherent in programming (in this case, we moved on to C# proper - a more serious kettle of fish altogether).

Technology A Barrier To Learning?

I think one instance where technology can be a barrier to learning is where it does something for you that you need to do yourself. For example, some time ago, I realized that I was tending to rely too heavily on a certain music program I have to play back to me what I had written (to verify that what I had written sounded as I had intended).
As a composer, I need to be able to rely on what is known as the 'inner ear.' If I allow software to take over that function, it will diminish the personal resources which I need to rely upon from within myself. I am sure that there are many circumstances in the lives of others where an analogous situation would pertain.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, myself! One misuse of technology which is a barrier to optimum productivity and, at times, sanity, is SPAM. I added a couple of contributions relevant to this on the VMV Wiki:
    http://www.virtualmv.com/wiki/index.php?title=Digital_Learning_Technologies/Social/eMail#Spam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have come across the software normalising the creative ideas - particularly PowerPoint. - Michael.

    ReplyDelete