Wednesday 22 May 2013

DLT 2: Pedagogopopolis - Is My Module Effective?

Student approval chocolate deal...
Does my module teach effectively? So far, I have only 1 feedback, which was upbeat, but I realize that it's from perspectives outside of my own that I will be able to see whether the e-course is useful or not.
In other words, the users - those for whom it is intended - are the ultimate arbiters of it's success or failure.
Of course, constructive criticism is invaluable; if it's not all-encompassing, you can modify your offering accordingly, then give it back to them and hopefully they'll say "Yip, perfect, couldn't be better."
And if, after enough feedback-inspired improvements, enough people are of that opinion, you may really have contributed something useful.

Does It Teach O.K?


I hope my module teaches well; I tried to give it flow, a variety of media, a little humour; to present ideas in a sequentially meaningful way.
I tried to be clear; in the assessment I tried to create questions which would really test comprehension in the users, rather than allow parroting; I attempted to make the layout engaging and reasonably professional-looking.
I wanted to incorporate learning activities which would involve the students on responsive and technical levels. I included additional opportunities to expand their knowledge of various other aspects of the subject (links, etc).
I gave expected learning outcomes and means of student progress evaluation.
There were a number of structuring options as to how to unfold the material; the path I chose tried to impart some degree of alternation between pure reading, listening and activity.

My module doesn't attempt to cover the whole subject, but I think it could be relatively enlightening and useful for people at various points in their musical journey.

We'll see what Michael thinks. Not that I would make the mistake of bribing him with Whittaker's in a public blog post.

Sure, I may hang out with Paula and Gabrielle, but I'm not that ...brazen.


No comments:

Post a Comment