Wednesday 15 May 2013

DLT 2 - Technical Problems & Problem Solving

My initial 'problem' with assignment 2 was 'what's it going to be?' And after I had isolated the general topic, the question became 'how to subdivide or present this?'

Then ...as typically happens with me, having submitted my storyboard (and partially in response to tutor feedback) I refined my topic ideas further and changed my structural outlook somewhat.

The 'solution' to these problems, I would describe as living with the question: 'given the explicit requirements of the assignment (and the stated purposes of the 'product'), what is the best way to do this (in each detail of the execution)?' My experience is that such questions (be they articulated, or implicit) tend to dredge solutions from the mind (albeit painfully on occasion).

Problem? Voila! - Solution! 


Apart from the ongoing attempt at structural purpose-optimization, the sheer mechanics of realization and user-usage has to be dealt with. Below are a few instances of  'problem-to-solution' situations which arose:
  • I wanted to embed some videos, however the ubiquitous I.E. security blocking and slow video loading displeased me. I solved this by making screenshot clips of the YouTube videos themselves and using those images as buttons to open the actual videos in another browser window.
  • I wanted a simple solution as to how to align caption text correctly below multiple aligned images: I edited the images themselves to incorporate the text.
  • In one instance I wanted to break the monotony occasioned by unremitting text, so I created a table as a more engaging, clear and appropriate format for the content.  
Importantly, though, my main surprise lay in realizing that I could generally technically implement the ideas I had without much too much difficulty (of course, I realize that this module is not the most complicated HTML challenge of all time).

It was good to realize that I had actually seen plenty of worse websites online - so I must have actually learned something after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment